Friday, September 22, 2006

Disappointment

url: http://www.google.com
define: disappointment
results:
- a feeling of dissatisfaction that results when your expectations are not realized;
"his hopes were so high he was doomed to disappointment"
- an act (or failure to act) that disappoints someone


We are all human, we have ambitions - expectations of ourselves and others, and so it doesn't come as a surprise why disappointment is a common feeling that we all encounter at some stage.

I'm just sat here thinking why i'm writing this post in the first place. Last night I left my computer running to transcode the video file of the recent keertan programme for dvd burning. I left my msn running in the background by mistake and so after doing my nitnem this morning I could see who had been online after I'd retired for the day. I was shocked at first...no not shocked...disappointed. Individuals who I thought to be strict in keeping their bibek signing off at 12am and 1am. Had I not seen that they signed in at 11pm, I would have thought they were off to do their abhiyaas. Then there's people who talk about waking up 'on time' who are online at silly hours. Bhai Kulbir Singh from Tapoban Gurdwara mentioned to wake up at amritvela, one should be aiming to "sleep by 8, half 8". I remember those words clearly from last years khalsa camp. I get to sleep at 10, half 10..and i always curse myself in my mind when doing Sohilla da paath.

Recently I saw the true colours of a local Singh who I thought to be a Gursikh, this was extremely upsetting as I thought I'd known him well for the past 5-6 years but turns out he was another person behind his inspirational charisma However, now that Singh is a Gursikh in my opinion since he did the right thing by being truthful although I also feel sorry for the situation he is having to bare.

Disappointment mustn't let get a hold of you. Whatever it was which caused this feeling, your thoughts are always on it; seemingly unwilling to let it go by. The mind is a powerful instigator and so it's nothing unusual if you end up thinking of vendettas!

Bhai Gurdaas Jee describes what we must aim to become (gurmukh - One who is devoted to God.):

Being detached like lotus in the water they (the gurmukhs) remain away from the cycle of hopes and disappointments.

The example of the local Singh didnt have much affect on me since I had other things on my mind (exam results!) so I suppose if we are attached to something else we will be detached from other happenings. Bhai Gurdaas Jee is obvioulsy referring to having an attachment to God which I am a far cry from having. I suppose I need inspirational people to help me and even if they stab you in the back, you shouldn't lose your cool and must learn to accept things.

I failed an exam this year and it was my first ever. I was disappointed for quite a few reasons since it meant I had to revise again..!, but also meant I couldnt go to Khalsacamp. Parents are never going to be satisfied..so I wont say what they thought of it (had i got 70% they would have told me off for not studying enough for that extra 30%!!!!). Dont worry, I love my parents!

We must be prepared for disappointment and the way I see it is to profit from it: use it as a pedestal to leap into another level towards your expectations.

It makes you a stronger person no matter what

“We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”
Martin Luther King

6 comments:

b said...

: )

just smile! :P said...

Fateh ji!after reading ur all new revamped blog...it left me no choice but to post a comment!:P Your most recent post is very true in terms of how we place certain expectations in individuals and then when these are conflicted with reality it can be disheartening...however,there is always light at the end of the tunnel!
All the best with your studies and with your blog..keep up the fab work! (not too sure about staring out a goat though!!)hahaha!!!..anyhoo back to work! :P

Sifar said...

To police others is not a job of a Sikh either. We should be policing ourselves and leave the judging of others upto the Guru....

"Oostat Nidya Dou Tyagae...."

WaheGuru...

Bhul Chuk dee Khema...

Novtej said...

hahahahaha i was waiting for something like this... as there always is one! Sifar jee, i was not policing at all, as a matter of fact my msn was left online and im sure you're aware of the messenger plus plugin which has an event log function - this logs all msn activity. Anyway I think its good I know, saves me wasting time with these people.
Thanks for clearing the air anyway :)

and thanks for your comment 'justsmile!' - there is always light at the end of the tunnel - just a matter of making yourself adaptable to see the tunnel more clearly and in reaching distance.

TeraRoop said...

oh no! your old bloggie is no more?

=(

Novtej said...

yeah... i needed to start afresh. Usually your more creative on a fresh piece of paper. You can still access my previous blog and posts by clicking on the link on the main page or going directly via this link:

novtejsingh.blogspot.com